DELRAY BEACH SISTER CITIES
Thursday, June 7, 2001
Members present: nGurumo, S. Baron, M. Baron, R. Murray, C. Durante, B. Stelzer, C. Moody, C Eschenburg.
1.The meeting was called to order by Chairman, nGurumo, at 8:40 a.m.
2. The minutes of the regular meeting held May 3rd were approved in the form of a motion by Chuck, seconded by Charlotte.
3. Ms. Durante reported on the National Sister Cities convention that is taking place in Atlanta July 25-28, 2001. Students as well as others will be attending. Ms. Durante will provide a report. The state conference along with the youth conference will be held in April 2002 in Delray Beach. The date is April 26-27, 2002. The theme is Youth Involvement. Grant applications may be available through the Secretary of State. We will apply for a 501(c)(3) status this summer.
4. Media Report- B. Stelzer: She reported on several articles that were published on the young people going to Japan. There was an article on the Tanzanian Delegation in the Boca/Delray News. nGurumos appointment as Chair was also recognized.
5. There was a motion by R. Murray, and seconded by M. Baron to host the Safari Dinner during the season 2002. Lets cross check with the Chamber of Commerce to make sure the dates are available. We need a status report on the funds sent over for the library. Have the renovations taken place? We also need photos. The motion carried.
6. There was motion by M. Baron and seconded by R. Murray that we attempt to get into the Delray Affair Juried Art Show. The motion carried.
7. The Florida State Sister Cities Olympic Games are planned for 2003. The Tanzania committee is in full support. A presentation will be made to the larger committee 6/11/01 @ 8:30 a.m.
8. The Committee will ask the Mayor to write a letter to inquire how the project is coming for the library. It is difficult at this stage. The Books for Africa project needs about $8,000 just for shipping. A Tanzania Committee website has been built by the Chairman. It is located at http://www.dsctanzania.org
9. 2002 marks the 25th anniversary of Delray Beach as a Sister City. April is the month the ordinance was signed. It was an outshoot of the Friends of Morikami Committee. Chuck was the President of the board. This is a three-way anniversary.
10. The Mayor of Moshi would like to come here. He wants to bring a delegation of three including a librarian. Lets contact Mayor Schmidt to find out his availability for August, September, or November. There was a motion made by Clovis and seconded by Chuck to invite the delegation in the months mentioned pending the schedule of our Mayor. The motion carried.
11. There were no non-agenda items.
12. The meeting adjourned at 9:30 a.m.