Sister Cities Meeting
Thursday, July 10, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m.
City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes: June 5, 2008
Continuing Committee Reports
· Student Exchange
1. Books for exchange students
· Moshi Trip
· Purchase of Computers
· Next Meeting: Thursday, August 7, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room
Delray Beach Sister Cities
July 10, 2008
Regular Meeting Minutes
Location: City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:33 p.m. by Vice-President Ngozi Mensah.
Roll Call: As listed above.
Agenda Approval: A motion was made to accept the agenda by Bill Wilsher and seconded by Rhonda Mensah. All voted aye.
Financial Report: No financial report was given.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to accept the June 5, 2008 minutes was made by Bill Wilsher and seconded by Clovis Moodie. All voted aye.
Continuing Committee Reports:
· Student Exchange: One of the students has been tested and is allergic to shellfish so she will not be going on the trip, but will still attend all the meetings. Only 6 students will be going on the trip next June.
1. Books for exchange students: Still have not received the books.
· Obon: August 9, 2008 from 5:00 9:00 p.m., at the Morikami. Bill passed around a sign up sheet for volunteers. He asked that volunteers arrive one (1) hour early. The volunteer wristbands will be given to Donna for pick up. Beer coozies have been ordered and will be on sale at the beer tents for $3 and beer, wine and sake will $5. A motion was made by Clovis Moodie to purchase 2 full size coolers for beer for these events, price not to exceed $100; seconded by Beth Johnston. All voted aye.
Moshi Trip: Oz and Rhonda Mensah have had all their shots and will leave July 18, 2008 for Moshi. There will be a reception on Sunday for them. As of now, they have not received their final agenda from Mayor Kaaya. Oz will forward to us when he receives it (attached). Oz and Rhonda have received small gifts from many to take with them. Other gifts include: from the City of Delray Beach a proclamation and a City of Delray Beach flag; from Mayor Rita Ellis to Mayor Kaaya a signed City of Delray Beach pop up book and another pop up book for their library; Pineapple Grove donated a photograph of the beach; Chamber of Commerce cookbooks. A motion was made by Rhonda Mensah to purchase a gift from Delray Beach Sister Cities to Moshi, Tanzania Sister Cities, not to exceed $250, seconded by Bill Wilsher. All voted aye. A motion was made by Bill Wilsher to purchase 6 City of Delray Beach pop up books to be given as a gift to each school Oz and Rhonda visits, seconded by Beth Johnston. All voted aye. Oz spoke with the Embassy in Washington, DC and they made the suggestion that Delray Beach Sister Cities draw up a memorandum of intention stating their goal of the teacher exchange program.
Purchase of Computers: The purchase of computers has gone through and will be dedicated during Oz and Rhonda’s visit. A motion was made by Beth Johnston to pay the cost of a banner or sign to hang over the computers at the library, to say “Internet Café donated by Delray Beach Sister Cities July 2008”, not to exceed $250; motion was seconded by Beverly Ouckama. All voted aye.
New Business: Mr. Barcinski reported that the mayor of Miyazu will not be coming to visit anytime soon.
Rhonda Mensah reported that it will cost approximately $1000 to ship the books that were donated for Moshi and the committee might want to rethink this. Beverly Ouckama said that the American Heritage School might want to do a fundraiser to pay for the shipping, but she would know more after school starts.
Non-Agenda Item: Next meeting will be Thursday, August 7, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.