Sister Cities Meeting
Thursday, August 7, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m.
City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes: July 10, 2008
Continuing Committee Reports
· Student Exchange
. Books for exchange students
· Golf Tournament, October 4, 2008
· Moshi Trip
Sister Cities International Conference
· Next Meeting: Thursday, September 4, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room
Delray Beach Sister Cities
August 7, 2008
Regular Meeting Minutes
Location: City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:35 p.m. by President David Schmidt.
Roll Call: As listed above.
Agenda Approval: A motion was made to accept the agenda by Oz Mensah and seconded by Bill Wilsher. All voted aye.
Financial Report: The financial report was given by Becky O’Connor for the months of June and July 2008. Becky reported revenue of $28,010 and expenses of $25,599 for both months with a net income of $2,411 to date. The cash bank balance was reported as $42,104 with $18,464 of the balance reserved for Moshi as of July 31, 2008. A motion to accept the financial report was made by Bill Wilsher and seconded by n’Detenga n’Gurumo. All voted aye.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to accept the July 10, 2008 minutes was made by Rhonda Mensah and seconded by n’Detenga n’Gurumo. All voted aye.
Continuing Committee Reports:
· Student Exchange: Books for the exchange students have been received.
· Obon: August 9, 2008 from 5:00 9:00 p.m., at the Morikami. Bill asked that volunteers arrive early (3:30) and dress for the weather. The coolers for the beer have been bought. Beer coozies will be on sale at the beer tents for $3 and beer, wine and sake will $5.
· Golf Tournament: The golf tournament will be held on October 4, 2008 at the Delray Beach Golf Club. Registration starts at 7:15 a.m., Scramble/Shotgun at 8:00 a.m., then lunch and awards at 1:00 p.m. A new flyer was done by Nancy King; everyone please hand out. David Schmidt will do an email blast. Beth Johnston from the Chamber is helping with raffle prizes again this year. Mr. Barcinski presented the budget to the Board and a motion was made to accept the budget by Bill Wilsher and seconded by Oz Mensah. All voted aye.
Moshi Trip: Oz and Rhonda did a slide presentation on their trip. They met with Bernadette Kinabo and were very well received and all the gifts were greatly appreciated. They visited 7 schools and gave each a Delray Beach pop up book. They are still using the books that were sent over a few years ago and still are in great need of more books. The elementary schools student ratio average is 40-50 students to a 1 teacher and the high school is a 100 students/1 teacher. They are very interested in science, but have no tools. They all have a great interest in the education exchange and would really like to interface with us in math and science.
Computers: The Internet Café was dedicated and the banner was a great hit. At the time, only 1 computer was connected to the internet, with all 5 connected, it ran too slow. The computer company will proved a hub and high speed and the proceeds from the Café will pay for the high speed service. Oz bought and donated a wireless modem for them. Oz also stated that they are still using the computers that were previously sent.
Sister Cities International Conference: David attended the conference in Kansas City, MO, July 16-19, 2008. He reported that the financial picture for the organization is not good. They have a new director and hope he can turn things around. David said they have a new program, Sister Schools; he had gotten some CD’s on the program and will share them at the next meeting.
New Business: None
Non-Agenda Item: Next meeting will be Thursday, September 4, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 5:45 p.m.