Sister Cities Meeting
Thursday, September 4, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m.
City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes: August 7, 2008
Continuing Committee Reports
· Golf Tournament, October 4, 2008
· Next Meeting: Thursday, October 2, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room
Delray Beach Sister Cities
September 4, 2008
Regular Meeting Minutes
Location: City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:32 p.m. by President David Schmidt.
Roll Call: As listed above.
Agenda Approval: A motion was made to accept the agenda by Jimmy Mihori and seconded by Bill Wilsher. All voted aye.
Financial Report: The financial report was given by Becky O’Connor for the month of August 2008. Becky reported revenue of $33,705 and expenses of $27,592 with a net income of $6,113 to date. The cash bank balance was reported as $40,161 with $18,128 of the balance reserved for Moshi as of August 31, 2008. A motion to accept the financial report was made by Jimmy Mihori and seconded by Beth Johnston. All voted aye.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to accept the August 7, 2008 minutes was made by Bill Wilsher and seconded by Jimmy Mihori. All voted aye.
Continuing Committee Reports:
· Student Exchange: Charlotte sent an email update on the students; report attached.
· Obon: August 9, 2008 was the best year ever. The net was approximately $4,300, which was double from last year. They actually ran out of plum wine and sake. Bill said they may have to purchase a few more coolers for next year. Bill thanked everyone who volunteered.
· Golf Tournament: October 4, 2008 at the Delray Beach Golf Club. Registration starts at 7:15 a.m., Scramble/Shotgun at 8:00 a.m., then lunch and awards at 1:00 p.m. David Schmidt did an email blast and press releases have gone out. Mr. Barcinski sent around a volunteer sign up sheet and asked everyone to get the word out; they still need teams, raffle prizes and hole sponsors.
No report, committee has not met.
Sister Schools: David Schmidt emailed everyone a packet (attached) he received at the Sister Cities Conference on Sister Schools. Everyone was in consensus that it made sense and looked good. Oz was going to send a packet to Bernadette Kinabo in Moshi. David made the suggestion to start with 1 school first, but Oz felt 2 or 3 schools would be manageable and it was consensus of the group to do 2 or 3 schools, maybe 1 at each level for Moshi and Miyazu. David asked Rieko if she would be the lead for the Japanese side (Morikami Elementary). David said he would be interested in being part of the Miyazu Sister Schools. Oz’s group will get together a presentation using the packet from Sister Cities as a guide and go to the school board in the near future to discuss this idea. As of now, Carver and Trinity are ready to get on board.
New Business: Oz Mensah stated that the group needs a Sister Cities shirt so they know who you are at functions; everyone was in agreement. Bill Wilsher is going to look into prices for a golf shirt.
Non-Agenda Item: Next meeting will be Thursday, October 2, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m.