Sister Cities Meeting
Thursday, November 6, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m.
City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes: October 2, 2008
Continuing Committee Reports
· Student Exchange
· Golf Tournament, October 4, 2008
· Safari Dinner
Sister Cities Sculpture
· Next Meeting: Thursday, December 4, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room
Delray Beach Sister Cities
November 6, 2008
Regular Meeting Minutes
Location: City Hall, First Floor Conference Room
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:30 p.m. by President David Schmidt.
Roll Call: As listed above.
Agenda Approval: A motion was made to amend the agenda to read that the next meeting will be December 11, 2008 by n’Detenga n’ Gurumo and seconded by Jimmy Mihori. All voted aye.
Financial Report: The financial report was given by Becky O’Connor for the month of October 2008. Becky reported revenue of $10,218 (includes City contribution of $2,000) and expenses of $3,524 with a net income of $6,694 to date. The cash bank balance was reported as $51,730 with $18,013 of the balance reserved for Moshi and $33,717 for Miyazu as of October 31, 2008. Becky also prepared a preliminary Golf Tournament Income Statement of $4,268. A motion to accept the financial report was made by n’Detenga n’ Gurumo and seconded by Jimmy Mihori. All voted aye. Gurumo wanted to know if we should publish the income statement for the Delray Beach Sister Cities on the website. The consensus of the group was to only put the annual report on the website.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to accept the October 2, 2008 minutes was made by Jimmy Mihori and seconded by Rhonda Mensah. All voted aye.
Continuing Committee Reports:
· Student Exchange: The students just finished the Resident’s Academy. The students bio’s have been sent to Japan and they are waiting to find out their host families; Jimmy will keep everyone posted.
· Golf Tournament: Given the economy, the tournament did well, approximately $4,200. Mr. Barcinski thanked everyone who helped and it was great that all the students were there. Mr. Barcinski will secure a date for next year.
· Safari Dinner: Rhonda reported that there are no Saturdays available at the Golf Course so Friday, April 24th has been reserved. David Schmidt brought up the idea of having the dinner at the West Palm Beach Zoo; Rhonda will look into this.
Sister Cities Sculpture: Charles Hardiman is in discussion with Gene Fisher on this. The consensus of the group is not to do anything until they see something on paper.
Sister Schools: Rhonda reported that Oz is still looking for feedback by next week; the meeting with the School Board is December 1, 2008 at 5:30 p.m.
· Charlotte would like Gurumo to do a presentation of his last 2 trips to Moshi and how he has kept friendships over the years at the next meeting.
· Charles gave an article on Tanzania from the Wall Street Journal from June 08 to Rhonda to give to Oz.
· Donna to check with Old School Square on dates for the annual meeting. The first choice January 22nd and then January 29th.
Non-Agenda Item: Next meeting will be Thursday, December 11, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m., City Hall First Floor Conference Room.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 5:15 p.m.