Sister Cities Meeting
Thursday, December 11, 2008 @ 4:30 p.m.
City Hall, City Manager’s Conference Room
Call to Order
Approval of Minutes: November 6, 2008
Continuing Committee Reports
· Student Exchange
· Safari Dinner
· Presentation by n’Detenga n’Gurumo of his last 2 trips to Moshi
· Next Meeting: Annual Meeting, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 @ 6:00PM, in the Ocean Breeze Room at Old School Square
Delray Beach Sister Cities
December 11, 2008
Regular Meeting Minutes
Location: City Hall, City Manager’s Conference Room
|Members Present||Members Absent
|Charlotte Durante||Barbara Dilthey
|n’Detenga n’ Gurumo||Daisy Fulton
|Nancy King||Beth Johnston
|Charles Hardiman||Ted Marshall
|Ngozi Mensah||Lourdes Martinez
|Rhonda Mensah||Clovis Moodie
|Chieko Mihori||Peggy Murphy
|Jimmy Mihori||Reiko Nishioka
|Becky O’Connor||Bill Wilsher
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 4:35 p.m. by President David Schmidt.
Roll Call: As listed above.
Agenda Approval: A motion was made to accept the agenda by Becky O’Connor and seconded by Jimmy Mihori. All voted aye.
Financial Report: The financial report was given by Becky O’Connor for the month of November 2008. Becky reported revenue of $10,518 and expenses of $3,574 with a net income of $6,944 to date. The cash bank balance was reported as $51,980 with $17,988 of the balance reserved for Moshi and $33,992 for Miyazu as of November 30, 2008. A motion to accept the financial report was made by Jimmy Mihori and seconded by Beverly Ouckama. All voted aye.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to accept the November 6, 2008 minutes was made by n’Detenga n’ Gurumo and seconded by Jimmy Mihori. All voted aye.
Continuing Committee Reports:
• Student Exchange: Jimmy reported that the Miyazu School Board is waiting until April, when their school year begins, to pick host families for the student exchange. Jimmy will keep everyone posted. Charlotte reported that the pot luck dinner was a great success with about 50 people in attendance. Beverly reported that the exchange students will be touring American Heritage in February and the Board is also invited.
• Safari Dinner: The two options for the dinner are: Friday, April 24th at the Golf Course or April 25th at the Palm Beach County Zoo. Rhonda, David and Mr. Barcinski toured the facility and the zoo would be a beautiful venue, there would be animal greeters at the door, a fountain show, and 2 drinks tickets per person with a Zoo BBQ (menu attached) for $75 a person. Rhonda also mentioned that instead of a silent auction with a lot of small prizes, do a raffle with a few large items and a 50/50 raffle. A motion was made by Oz Mensah to move the Safari Dinner to the Palm Beach County Zoo and it was seconded by n’Detenga n’ Gurumo. All voted aye.
Sister Schools: Oz, Rhonda and David made a presentation to the Education Board on December 1st, and the Board would like them to come back in January. They were very interested in the students and the Internet Café and said they would endorse Sister Schools to the Commission.
• Charles Hardiman feels that Chieko Mihori should be added as a Charter Member.
• Oz would like to invite the schools to our Annual Meeting and do a Sister Schools presentation. Oz will do the invitations and copy David and Donna; they must RSVP by 12/31/08.
• David to contact Peggy about the food for the Annual Meeting.
• n’Detenga n’Gurumo gave a slide presentation of his last 2 trips to Moshi. Presentation was very interesting and well received. Thanks to Gurumo.
Non-Agenda Item: Next meeting will be the Annual Meeting, Wednesday, January 7, 2009 @ 6:00 p.m., in the Ocean Breeze Room at Old School Square.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.